HOURS OF SERVICE RULES FOR PROPERTY CARRYING CMV DRIVERS COURSE OVERVIEW
The purpose of the hours of service (HOS) regulations is to keep tired drivers off the road. After many hours behind the wheel, fatigue sets in, and it can lead to bad decisions and deadly crashes. For the safety of all drivers, compliance with the hours of service regulations has been required of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers since the 1930s.
This truck driver training course is designed to give drivers and carriers an overview of the FMCSA’s hours of service rules and how to comply with them.
Regulations covered by this course include: 49 CFR Part 395
After completing this course, learners will understand:
- Recognize the purpose of the hours of service regulations and their impact on them.
- Explain how to apply DOT hours of service regulations, including on-duty and driving limits and the 34-hour restart provision.
- Describe how to keep track of their hours of service using an AOBRD, ELD, or paper logs.
- Identify which, if any, exceptions to hours of service apply to them.
HOURS OF SERVICE RULES FOR PROPERTY CARRYING CMV DRIVERS COURSE TOPICS:
- Introduction to Hours of Service
- Who is Regulated?
- Impact on CSA BASIC Scores
- On-Duty and Off-Duty Time
- The Limits
- 14-Hour (on duty) Limit
- 11-Hour (driving) Limit
- 60-/70-Hour (on duty) Limit
- Mandatory Break Provision (8-hour driving limit)
- Ill or Fatigued Operator
- 34-Hour Restart Provision
- Trip Planning
- Record of Duty Status
- ELD Mandate
- Harassment or Coercion of Drivers Prohibited
- Required Components
- Frequently Used Exceptions
HOURS OF SERVICE RULES FOR PROPERTY CARRYING CMV DRIVERS COURSE DURATION:
Approximately 45 minutes
HOURS OF SERVICE RULES FOR PROPERTY CARRYING CMV DRIVERS TESTING:
Testing conducted in this online Hours of Service Rules for Property Carrying CMV Drivers course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Users are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
HOURS OF SERVICE RULES FOR PROPERTY CARRYING CMV DRIVERS CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
This course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.