Awareness-level responders need to understand chemical hazards and properties and know that uncontrolled releases pose real dangers including illness, injury, and fatality. They should be able to immediately recognize the need for additional resources and notify the HAZMAT team as soon as possible so the team can bring the event under control.
This online HAZWOPER: Chemical Fundamentals course is designed to inform learners of how chemical-related terms are defined, the health and physical hazards, properties, stability, reactivity, and toxicity of chemicals, and the routes, symptoms, types, and effects of chemical exposure.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of knowing what chemicals are in the workplace
- Describe the difference between a health hazard and a physical hazard
- Recognize different chemical properties
- Explain the difference between stability and reactivity as they pertain to chemicals
- Discuss toxicity, dose, exposure limits, routes of exposure, and acute and chronic exposure
This online HAZWOPER: Chemical Fundamentals course covers the following topics:
- Understanding the Chemicals in Your Workplace
- Types of Chemical Hazards
- Health Hazards
- Physical Hazards
- Other Hazards
- Properties of a Chemical
- Stability & Reactivity
- Toxicity & Dosage
- Exposure Symptoms & Effects
Approximately 50 minutes
A mark of 80% must be achieved to pass this course. The course can be taken three times to achieve the pass mark.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Upon successful completion of this online course, users can download and print a certificate of completion.