CSA: KNOW THE BASICS COURSE OVERVIEW
This course provides an overview of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, (FMCSA) and its Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program. It is designed to help drivers understand what the CSA program is and what it means to them and their carrier, including detailed information on the seven Behavior Analysis Safety Improvement Categories, (the BASICs,) severity and time weighting of violations, calculation of BASIC measures, and FMCSA interventions.
Regulations covered: FMCFR Parts 382, 383, 391, 392, 393, 395, 396, 397, and Hazardous Materials Regulations Parts 171, 172, 173, 177, 178, 179, 180.
After completing this course, you will learn:
- The purpose and goals of the CSA program;
- How safety data is collected, measured, and evaluated under the program;
- About the seven BASICs and how violations get placed into each;
- Strategies for keeping BASIC scores low and avoiding FMCSA interventions.
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS COURSE TOPICS:
- Covers the seven BASICs (Behavior Analysis Safety Improvement Categories) used in the CSA Safety Measurement System (SMS):
- Unsafe Driving
- Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance
- Driver Fitness
- Controlled Substances and Alcohol
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Hazardous Materials (HM) Compliance
- Crash Indicator
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS COURSE DURATION:
Approximately 90 minutes
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS TESTING:
Testing conducted in this online CSA: Know the Basics course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Users are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
This course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.