BEAR AWARENESS OVERVIEW
This online course provides information that will prepare you to handle situations that you may encounter when working, hunting, camping, or travelling in bear country. In addition to teaching you about the general characteristics and habits of bears, you will learn how to recognize and react to both defensive and non-defensive attacks to ensure you make it home unharmed. People and workers going to bear country should take this program. It also covers OSHA requirements for worker safety
BEAR AWARENESS ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- The Differences between grizzly and black bears
- General characteristics of the species
- Bear body language and behaviours
- Signs that the bear is getting agitation
- Distribution of populations
- Breeding habits
- Hibernation seasons
- Food sources – omnivore
- Bear Country: Tips whenHunting, camping, and travelling
- Storage of food in a campsite
- Avoidance tips for a bear encounter
- Defensive and non-defensive attacks
- How to play dead and when to do it
- Using bear spray, storage and handling
- Bear bangers and other deterents
BEAR AWARENESS DURATION:
Approximately One hour
A mark of 80% must be achieved. You are allowed 2 attempts to pass. Testing is conducted throughout the program to reinforce the information.
BEAR AWARENESS ONLINE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
A certificate of completion will be available to download and print once you pass with minimum 80% mark.
This course allows playback on most internet capable devices. Those that have standard web browsing capabilities are acceptable including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, and Android and Smart Phones.